My Photo
Name:
Location: Kalmar, Sweden

I was born in Sheffield in England, but moved to London when I was 12. I've been teaching more or less since I graduated from Teachers' Training College in 1976, though I've taken time-out a couple of times (for example, to be West London Area Manager of one of the biggest office cleaning companies in the UK). I've worked in quite a few countries, such as Angola, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, Sweden, Trinidad and Tobago and Turkey.

Monday, March 13, 2006

Some more Practical English Usage questions

Here are some more for you. As usual, the sections to look in are in my Comment.

1. Why do you say 'ett råd' in Swedish, but 'a piece of advice' in English?

2. What's wrong with this sentence? "She has an own car."

3. Why do native speakers make 'mistakes' like "a song she sung in yesterday's concert" (instead of 'sang')?

4. Why do you describe a building as 'tall', rather than 'high'?

5. If you visited a school in the UK, would it be OK if you said 'shit' if you dropped something on your foot?

1 Comments:

Blogger David Richardson said...

Here are the sections to look for the answers in:

1. 148

2. 405

3. 312

4. 246

5. 575

5:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home