My Photo
Name:
Location: Kalmar, Sweden

I was born in Sheffield in England, but moved to London when I was 12. I've been teaching more or less since I graduated from Teachers' Training College in 1976, though I've taken time-out a couple of times (for example, to be West London Area Manager of one of the biggest office cleaning companies in the UK). I've worked in quite a few countries, such as Angola, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, Sweden, Trinidad and Tobago and Turkey.

Thursday, February 09, 2006

Getting to know Practical English Usage

Practical English Usage is the 'grammar book' on this course … but it's actually a lot more than that. It's a great source of practical information about how English works, and you can use it to help you plan language presentation lessons too.

So … here are five questions, the answers to which you'll find somewhere in Practical English Usage (If you look at the Comment I've written on this post, you'll find which sections to look in).

1. When Americans say 'pitcher', what do British people call it?

2. What's the difference between 'speak' and 'talk'?

3. What do you use a colon for in English?

4. When do you use 'some' and when do you use 'any'?

5. What's the difference between 'small' and 'little'?

2 Comments:

Blogger David Richardson said...

This is where you'll find the answers to the questions in this post. Remember that Practical English Usage is divided into sections, do these are section numbers, not page numbers.

1. Section 51

2. Section 553

3. Section 474

4. Section 574

5. Section 534

12:19 PM  
Blogger David Richardson said...

Lotta - thanks for pointing out my typo. I was doing this in a great deal of haste.

2:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home